CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

On fathers and sons


Based on my observations whilst living in the UK, rarely do I see British children with their fathers.

I see a lot of men with dogs. And I see a lot of the dogs' by-products -.- In one sociology lecture I went to, the lecturer told us that there were even people who were paid to walk other peoples' dogs.

That sort of thing. There was this one time I was walking in the park with a tennis racket and a can of tennis balls and this dog started to chase me. I think it was just being friendly and wanted me to throw the balls, but when you're Malay you'd think that every dog was trying to eat you, so I ran backwards and tried to shoo it off. But when that failed I threw the can of balls at the dog's face. It just stood there, stunned. I guess British dogs aren't used to brutality. And the owner started swearing at me. That's how much people here love dogs.

But strangely this sort of public affection doesn't apply as well to children. Sure I see lots of mothers pushing their children in prams, but surely no one in the world today experiences virgin birth anymore.

But its a different picture at the Muslim Welfare House (MeWaH), our local mosque. I usually see children with their fathers, praying together, sitting while the father reads qur'an. And they're (usually) quiet and disciplined, no need for Pakcik Fauzi (pakcik fauzi is a pakcik in Kota Damansara whose very name strikes more fear in the hearts of children than Puaka Niyang Rapik) Like just now i saw a man sitting down and reading the qur'an, his son patiently waiting beside him. The man's face was calm and had a semblance of Yusuf Islam. To me that was a beautiful sight to see and made my heart flowery-flowery.

And another time there was this kid returning from primary school and his dad was following behind, lecturing him in Arabic. I didn't understand what he said but it sounded tarbawi. hihi.

Syeikh Ahmad Saad said, Rasulullah told us to

just go with what the child wants at the ages of 0-7
be firm on them ages 7-14
14-21 treat them like a friend
after that all birds eventually leave their nest.

I love seeing this kind of informal education which starts at home. That's where you actually learn things. Like writing sentences. Or how to pick up stuff if they fall down toilet bowls. and especially important, my parents taught me how to be a good Muslim :)

I believe in this potential of the young generation :)

1 comments:

IzziaraYusoff said...

This post made my heart flowery-flowery. :D